Ralf Weber <d...@fl1ger.de> wrote:
    >> While I don't object to a BOF, I don't know where it goes.
    >> What I see is that much of this problem needs to be resolved through
    >> increased use of 802.1X: making WPA-Enterprise easier to use and setup,
    >> this changing core identity from MAC Address to IDevID.
    >>
    >> My understanding is that Apple intends to randomize MAC every 12 hours,
    >> even on the same "LAN" (ESSID), and that they will just repeat the WPA
    >> authentication afterwards to get back on the network.

    > I of course don’t know Apples intentions, but what you are describing is
the
    > behaviour of early iOS 14 beta versions. However this behaviour has
changed
    > in later beta versions and the released iOS 14.0 version to have a random
Mac
    > per ESSID and not change that over the lifetime of the device (at least
no so
    > far on my devices at home), which I think is more in line what the rest of
    > the industry does.

That's interesting news.
Why did they try something different in the beta?  Maybe they thought that
the industry was ready for this, but were wrong?
I heard about this change from Tiru Reddy.

It would be great if this BOF elicited public statements and/or public policies
about
Google and Apple's intentions in this space.  If it's their goal to go in the
direction I outlined, then it would be good to know.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )