You can set the JSSE system property javax.net.debug to get a lot of
debug output.  It will probably tell you why the handshake fails.  Try
"javax.net.debug=ssl" or "javax.net.debug=all" .   You can see all the
options for that here:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/security/jsse/JSSERefGuide.html#Debug

The output goes to stdout (or stderr, can't remember which).