On Fri, 2023-03-10 at 21:23 +0530, Sandeep Kulkarni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a migration guide for httpclient-win to httpclient5-
> win. I
> could not find one at
> https://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-5.2.x/migration-guide/index.html
>
> Also I am looking for any reason(s) for removal of
> WindowsCredentialsProvider from httpclient5-win. Our code uses it and
> we
> are looking for alternatives when we move to v5.

If you look at the source code of the WindowsCredentialsProvider you
can see that it is basically useless.

> Also why the call to setDefaultCredentialsProvider() was removed. I
> have
> got over the history of the file but could not find any reason
> mentioned.

Because one cannot set credentials for the WindowsNegotiateScheme.
Those credentials would be meaningless. The scheme uses the actual
credentials of the current system user.

> https://github.com/apache/httpcomponents-client/blob/4.5.x/httpclient-win/src/main/java/org/apache/http/impl/client/WinHttpClients.java#L77-L80
>
> vs
>
> https://github.com/apache/httpcomponents-client/blob/master/httpclient5-win/src/main/java/org/apache/hc/client5/http/impl/win/WinHttpClients.java#L66-L67
>
> Regards,
> Sandeep Kulkarni

Please also note we are going to deprecate `httpclient5-win` and NTLM
authentication scheme in the coming release (5.3) and remove them
entirely in 6.0. There is presently no one willing to support this
scheme.