On Thu, 17 May 2012 09:07:26 -0400, Mark Jacobs <mark.jac...@custserv.com>
wrote:

>Is it a consensus best practice to restrict read access of
>syslog/operlog data to those people with a need-to-know, or is it a UACC
>of READ appropriate?

I think this varies on a shop by shop basis.   In all shops I've been at
sysprogs and operators get syslog.  In many of them application
programmers get it, but not in all shops.  "End users" usually rarely
if ever get access to it.

OPERLOG is usually restricted to operations and sysprogs more often
than not in my experience.  From a non-sysprog perspective, all the
extra messages would probably be more confusing than anything
to an application programmer.    Also, with many shops, due to
consolidations or maybe a service provider with a sysplex of
different business units or companies in the same sysplex, you
wouldn't want the average programmer to be able to get to the
syslog data from another LPAR via operlog.

Regards,

Mark
mailto:m...@mzelden.com