John Gilmore wrote:

>> Is it a consensus best practice to restrict read access of syslog/operlog
>> data to those people with a need-to-know?

>It is not, not least because the question itself is not well-formed.
>Need-to-know is a useful notion for highly sensitive information that lends
>itself to misuse in the wrong hands.

>For syslog/.operlog the operative question should instead be:
>Who, if anyone, needs to be prevented from accessing this information?
>The answer will then usually be no minimally qualified user.

While 'need to know' is a good argument [1] and I agree with your argument that
minimally qualified user [2] should be kept away from SYSLOG / OPERLOG, I ask
another set of questions before giving accesses.

When deciding WHO may need to access such resources, I ask several questions,
some of them are listed:

1. Do you really need to know, so you can perform your job? Examples please. On
a postcard. I'm busy.
2. Can you make *useful* usage of those resources?
3. What is the supervisor/boss opinion?

I weight all answers, needs, etc. before decisions. Sometimes they get a YES,
while I should give a NO. :-p

Please don't jump on me:
I know for a fact that some unnamed vendor software can with a tweaking of
options [3] display sensitive data like userid/password, control-fields, etc.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht

[1] - If you don't have any other arguments to start with.

[2] - I have in the past some nosy users who tried out career limiting things!
;-)

[3] -This is by design and is turned off by default. You better protect your 'F
yyy,blah' modify command of course.