From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Binyamin Dissen
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2023 9:37 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Error messages (a rant and an idea)

Do you want to put QuickRef out of business?

On Mon, 18 Sep 2023 07:06:48 -0500 "Lionel B. Dyck" <lbd...@gmail.com>
wrote:

:>I submitted this IBM Idea and would appreciate your support if you’re able
:>to vote:
:>
:>https://ibm-z-hardware-and-operating-systems.ideas.ibm.com/ideas/ZOS-I-382
7
:>
:>The text is:
:>
:>Title:
:>All error messages for shell tools should be complete and NOT require
:>referencing a Messages and Codes manual :>
:>Text:
:>Receiving a message like this (example from DSFS dsadm command):
IDFS00329E :>Could not set creation parameters, return code 126 reason code
ED07621A. Is :>confusing and meaningless to the average OMVS shell user.
They are not used :>to finding a messages and codes manual (which is so last
millennium) and :>using Google/Bing/... is useless in finding this, and
similar, messages.
:>
:>All shell commands that run under OMVS should provide clear, and complete,
:>messages without requiring the user to find a messages and codes manual.
The :>days of the 1960's and 1970's to

--
Binyamin Dissen <bdis...@dissensoftware.com> http://www.dissensoftware.com

to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN