One of the nice things about doing documentation in DCF is that it was trivial
to have identical text inserted into multiple documents. I don't suppose IBM
would be willing to do everything in LaTeX.

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Lionel B. Dyck <lbd...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2023 10:57 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Error messages (a rant and an idea)

I'm not suggesting they would/should do it for z/OS messages but at least
for all the shell commands since those using the shell commands come from an
environment (windows/macos/linux/*nix) where messages and codes manuals are
non-existent (for the most part as I'm sure some may have them).

Bob - I agree that having the manuals in a folder on my desktop for easy
search is just part of the job *but* for the shell commands/tools the
manuals are lacking, and in the case of DSFS the messages point you to
another manual for the reason codes, etc. which is a royal pain - I
understand not having to duplicate information but forcing the user to go to
multiple places to understand a message and resolve an issue is unwarranted
and cruel. We want to encourage the younger generation to like the z/OS
environment without discouraging them with hoops to fix an issue.

Then again, even with the great M&C pubs, many shops (all should) have
installed MVS/QuickRef to speed up issue resolution from messages.

Lionel B. Dyck <><
Website:
https://secure-web.cisco.com/11GAOWDRW2O5nYC8y7orqiR5gaKVw2yM_aUC-RpWa40czSI5Yq1olxuXtksO7unenuydv7UoIy_aQOt3wc5b2t1sUEKzsDVrPCi9W8x4Ha37t6_Ycpz9GgGZBJmgRSwO5O2Xj1jdVwQg7YoGQXjpH1wnKTLv190Om0rm6GF-I0dfZGlhb0MOYWkomk5sTdNr2hcvZOUZbCUARc3VH6I-vuFXFfPu0xFQJAZjE9nctT1JZ6Mr4nfHzugOPH3lrgMvSoIyZeRgZJKH0uemX_bteinBMkE3_jL3XADyqM7lfBq0-JPdNkgicJ7-CiBCtpfP0hM41CPoXeODK-H7u7vwtaCXIMirhc4OunOwdMHWuWz7r6ABb84SPPtTyDv3eEqwytC4f6qc9-k6jIim6PJXiOrhCkhIDB8JgG7xkopq76fw/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lbdsoftware.com
Github: https://github.com/lbdyck

“Worry more about your character than your reputation. Character is what you
are, reputation merely what others think you are.”   - - - John Wooden