On 16/04/2024 3:08 am, Jon Perryman wrote:
From a language standpoint, REXX is just another language but it's real strength is it's environment integration. Instead of the caller maintaining libraries, the environment automatically integrates with REXX. For instance, REXX in the TSO environment, gives you access to TSO commands (address TSO) and z/OS programs (address linkmvs). Start ISPF and address ISPEXEC is available. ISPF option 2 gives you address ISREDIT. SYSCALLS ON gives you address syscalls.

Rexx has better integration with z/OS, but Java has better integration with the rest of the world.

I just wrote a piece about sending SMS text messages from z/OS:

https://www.blackhillsoftware.com/news/2024/04/15/text-message-alerts-from-the-z-os-smf-real-time-interface/

Spoiler: it's 2 Java statements using the Twilio API.

Twilio.init(ACCOUNT_SID, AUTH_TOKEN); Message message = Message.creator( new com.twilio.type.PhoneNumber("+14159352345"), // to new com.twilio.type.PhoneNumber("+14158141829"), // from args[0]) .create();

Twilio provide a library that can be used to send text messages from z/OS. Amazon provide a library that can be used to work with AWS services from z/OS. It's very common for cloud providers to provide Java libraries for working with their services. Most of them will work on z/OS and open up those features to the mainframe.

Java is also a much more powerful language. I used to write a lot of Rexx, but I hate to go back because it is so much easier to get things done in Java.

Rexx is good for small tasks where the overhead of starting the JVM is significant, or where there isn't functionality in Java. Otherwise, Java is my choice.

--
Andrew Rowley
Black Hill Software