I concur about REXX EXECIO I/O is not exactly intuitive.

REXX, first implemented in CMS used the CMS I/O utilities.... Over in TSO they created EXECIO which does not operate in the same way as does the CMS EXECIO. And it causes me headaches when I work on CMS for a year or two and then come back to TSO to have it NOT be have as it did in CMS. Especially the STEM variable and trying to write a record.

And so after working in TSO for a year or so to go back to CMS -- I need to learn and make use of PIPEs which is not supported over on TSO.... Most shops do not see the need to pay for TSO Pipes. Sigh.

And so, with Windows I/O is different (still talking REXX), same problem with Linux. I/O is not handled the same for simple reads and writes from my perspective.

Never-the-Less, I really appreciate REXX over EXEC, EXEC2 and CLIST.

Steve Thompson