-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Rony G. Flatscher
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2024 14:24

ooRexx adds the message expression to Rexx to simplify interactions with any
kind of values. E.g.
instead of coding

    say reverse("abc")  /* yields a string "cba" */

you can optionally code:

    say "abc"~reverse   /* yields a string "cba" */

The message expression consists of a receiver value (synonyms: object,
instance) on the left-hand side of the tilde (~), which is the message
operator, followed by the name of a message on the right hand side. If the
message has arguments you would supply them in parentheses.

The receiver is then responsible to search for a method (function) by the name
of the received message, invokes it and returns the result, if any.

This is a quite simple concept.

....You may want to take a look at  the article
<https://research.wu.ac.at/files/41301564/ISECON23_Flatscher_Proposing_ooRexx_article.pdf>
 which introduces Rexx and ooRexx to engineering educators. Reading that
article, any interested REXX programmer from this mailing list should be able
to learn ooRexx in about half an hour!