Am Montag, 8. Februar 2016, 13:20:07 schrieb Erich Titl:
> Hi KP
>
> Just to make it more clear
>
> Am 07.02.2016 um 14:09 schrieb kp kirchdoerfer:
> > Hi;
>
> ..
>
> > I don't think we can't make this a valuable  decision.
> >
> > Just adding more code and more options to load modules will increase
> > maintenance work and will be confusing in the future.
> >
> > If we do not copy modules during boot, we have to make shure that for
> > example shorewalls init code calls the helper script  mount_module and
> > load modules from modules.sqfs. This is unneeded if we load the modules
> > during boot. If we now want to support both ways to load modules, we will
> > have all the modules right in place, but during shorewall start, it will
> > still mount modules.sqfs and and load modules... and this is true for
> > other packages as well (openvpn, ppp/pppoe and so on).
>
> I analyzed the case of openvpn
>
> All based on a standard 5.2.4 installation
>
> SALT# cat /etc/motd
> LEAF Bering-uClibc 5.2.4 Rev 1 uClibc 0.9.33.2 at SALT
> Linux 4.1.16-i486 #1 Thu Feb 4 19:09:38 CET 2016
>
> SALT# apkg -l | grep openvpn
> openvpnz 2.3.9 Rev 2 uClibc 0.9.33.2
> SALT# lsmod | grep tun
>
> So openvpn is installed, but tun is _not_ loaded
>
> SALT# ls /lib/modules/4.1.16-i486/tun*
> /lib/modules/4.1.16-i486/tunnel4.ko.gz
> /lib/modules/4.1.16-i486/tunnel6.ko.gz
>
> Mhhh... the tun module is not even _copied_ to /lib/modules
>
> SALT# ls -l /var/lib/lrpkg/openvpnz.depmod
> ls: /var/lib/lrpkg/openvpnz.depmod: No such file or directory
>
> No surprise, there is no depmod file in openvpnz
>
>                 <DependsOn>
>                         Package = libcrpto
>                         Package = libssl
>                 </DependsOn>
>
> So current analysis shows that despite the pledge of DependsOn, it has
> not fully been implemented, even one of the most cited packages is not
> even supported.

Yes, but that we didn't take care to fully implement the mechanism is not an
argument against, but shows just our limited time to keep up with changes.
And I for myself didn't take care, cause I knew that a decission with a
possible rework about  loading modules was mentioned as task for 6.x

You may analyze ppp/pppoe instead, where /var/lib/lrpkg/*.depmod provides the
necesssry modules and therefor requires no user intervention to load the
necessary modules.

> Please, what are we discussing about here?

We discuss a major change.

See ticket 73 from 2012

https://sourceforge.net/p/leaf/tickets/73/

where it all started. In the meantime, we could have closed that ticket,
because Andrew provided the code to deal with modules dependencies..

Your proposal is to choose a different solution, which has his own merits.

But I do not see, how we can go both ways.
Therefor I'd like to get a consensus, about how to proceed.