Hello Charles,

This is good news.  I'm sorry I didn't see your initial email going out, but
I would guess it is better late than never.  I think the first thing that
needs to be done is to clearly define what is to be documented in the wiki
and where.  Here is my 2 cents:

   1. There should be a page linked to the wiki's main page providing
   marketing style information.  This could be a kind of "About Lift" page on
   steroids.  What makes Lift novel?  What features does it provide that
   simplify the state of the art in web development?  How easily can the
   technology be integrated with legacy deployments?  What design goals does
   Lift strive for and why?  Does Lift have a viable future?  What is Lift's
   stance on KIR support?  Once an official release is made public, will bug
   fixes be applied to that version going forward and for how long?  How stable
   is the API?
   2. A brief description of the Lift culture could be beneficial; a kind of
   "welcome to the party, this is how we roll" for the uninitiated (I'm still
   figuring it out).
   3. Make a clearly defined section for people developing applications with
   Lift.  Give a 100ft view of the code/compile/deploy/test development cycle,
   then delve into the tools that make this cycle simpler.  Provide the basics
   on Maven, what it is, what it does for Lift, and the commands of interest
   for Lift development.  Describe how Maven is not required for the Maven
   adverse, and provide instructions on how to proceed without Maven (maybe an
   opportunity for sbaz?).  Up-to-date HowTo documents on standing up different
   editors (Nebeans, Eclipse, Idea, etc.) are important. How should Lift be
   deployed?  What are the required dependencies?  Is it reasonable to simply
   use Maven's jetty:run target for a production deployment?  What are the
   common configuration settings for various servlet containers for development
   vs. production deployments.  What architectures should be used for scaling
   out deployments for redundancy and performance (serialization, Terracotta,
   load balancing, etc.)?  Development, deployment and KIR overview for those
   familiar with Rails but not with Java.
   4. A documentation TODO list for people to contribute.
   5. Are there any best practices?  Some good topics could be I18N, how to
   avoid introducing security vulnerabilities like cross site scripting or SQL
   injection attacks, how best to leverage templates for CMS-like systems with
   very large numbers of unique pages vs. applications with a relatively short
   list of screens, security and performance tuning.
   6. There needs to be a very clear division between documentation for
   public reference and works in progress/new feature collaboration that would
   only confuse people.
   7. There is a lot of good example code in the lift demo app.  It might be
   nice to provide some supplemental annotated documentation in the wiki (a lot
   of people don't turn to the code by default).  This could be a kind of
   "recipes for Lift" section that could contain all kinds of examples
   including those in the demo app.  As people contribute creative solutions or
   solutions to common problems, they could eventually be pulled into the demo
   app.

I'm sure some of this already exists on the wiki, but it would nice if the
navigation made it easier to find.

As for registering with the wiki, could OpenID be supported for the wiki
account?  I'm seriously tired of creating new accounts all the time with the
same unchanging handful of passwords that I regularly have to cycle through
when accessing my account.  I'd like to see OpenID implemented everywhere.