On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 22:16 +0300, guy keren wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Marc A. Volovic wrote:
> > What level of price/performance do you want?
>
> the performance should allow me to run a fairly recent linux distribution
> - i can't just choose it, since i have to use certain
> desktops,applications/whatever based on the lecture's subject.
>
> thus, it has to be "strong enough" to run things such as OO 2.0, KDE 3.X,
> firefox and the like. if i can have such a thing for 500-1000$ - that's

You're moving it to fairly significant hardware requirements. Look at
these:

        http://www.boser.com.tw/products/barebone/bbs2521.htm
        http://www.boser.com.tw/products/barebone/bbs2003.htm

They are larger than what you want, in my opinion.

> what i want to know. once i know what options are available, i'll be able
> to make the trade-off between price and performance.

Wait - I think I found one for you:

        http://www.bwi.com/product/14513

Add hard disk and voilla!

Your consulting fee is US$... Oh - you think of something. ;-)

If you decide to buy one of these, tell me...

Marc