On 15/01/07, Oron Peled <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sunday, 14 בJanuary 2007 10:30, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> ...[ many valid observations about KDE/Gnome, snipped ] ...
> Also, the wonderful program F-Spot has me installing half of Gnome.
> KDE has no photo-manager that is so good as F-Spot,

You must be kidding. F-Spot is really nice, but has a way to go
until it comes close to digikam. Not only in speed (I just imported ~2500
photos to F-Spot and It took about an order of magnitude longer than the
same in digikam), but also in features. Just a small random sample:

The import feature and scrolling photos is _very_ slow in F-Spot, I do
agree. The import slowness I can live with, and the scroll slowness I
put up with because I understand that it is beta and I believe that
the developers are working on it. F-Spot has a very active, useful
developer community, who have helped me out personally many many
times.

 - If your camera store orientation info in the photo (mine do), you can
   autorotate as many photos as you like in one operation (each would be
   adjusted to its correct orientation). BTW, even if you don't touch the
   photos themselves (e.g: they are on a cdrom), they are still *displayed*
   by default with correct orientation (of course you can manually rotate
   them as F-Spot does).

Nice, but not a deal-maker for me.

 - Tons of plugins to have all the quick and dirty ops (red-eye-reduction,
   etc.) at your fingertips. Of course running any program like gimp,
   F-Spot, etc is just a right click away as in F-Spot.

Nice, but not a deal-maker for me.

 - You can view by Folders, Tags, Dates like in F-Spot, but when you search
   your searches are saved as virtual folders. BTW, there is quick search
   (by metadata strings) and advanced search when you can combine multiple
   conditions on metadata, date-ranges and albums.

Tell me, how an I get an integrated user interface like in F-Spot? One
window, in which the browse vieew is replaced by a photo that is
[(double)?] clicked?

 - Unlike F-Spot, you have more control on your display. E.g: I always show
   the tag names on my thumbnails (but you may choose not to do it...)

I don't want anything there other than pics!

 - Many more export options, most implemented as plugins of course (calendar,
   mpeg movie, Gallery, local html gallery).

Don't need it. I publish photos using my own php scripts.

 - Support for a lot more metadata items (e.g: import GPS data).

Can I search by Camera model? That is important to me.

Ok, that's enough. I hope I didn't start a new application war.
My post was directed to people who didn't know digikam and may
think there is only one good player in the field.

No war, but no hudna either. I'm willing to switch, but I'd like to
know that Digikam meets my needs. Also, in what format does it store
the tags? I'll need to import over 200 different tags on over 8000
pictures. I don't mind doing it with sqlite, but I need to know that
it can be done. The tags are in utf-8 Hebrew.

Anyone who knows both programs (or others) has probably already made
their own choice based on their personal taste.

On taste and smell I won't arguee with you, but although I've tried
Digikam I found that it won't perform as I like. Or can it? (as I have
described?)

Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com