On Fri, Jan 19, 2007, Diego Iastrubni wrote about "Re: How Can We Help to Make
this Happen?":
> I am plain, Jhon Doe, using English interface of OOo, using my favorite
> distro
> (just to make you happy, I like Fedora ;) ), what steps are needed to make it
> spell check Hebrew+English?

Hi,

Like I said, in Fedora (at least, Fedora 5 and up, I think),

        yum install openoffice.org-langpack-he_IL

should be all that you need to do. Then, write words in Hebrew and in English
as you always do (assuming that you already know how to do it); When you
spell-check, Hebrew words will be spell-checked using the Hebrew dictionary,
and English with the English. Spell-checking on the fly will also work nicely.

I never tried Hebrew+English+Spanish, but it's a bit more complicated: You'll
explicitly need to tell OpenOffice the *language* of each part of the text.
Normally, a style is associated with a language, so in a mixed English-Spanish
text you'll probably have styles like "Spanish section", "English word", and
so on, to allow spell-checking with the appropriate language. But I never
actually tried this myself.

And of course, I agree with you that the Hebrew situation in OpenOffice - and
in many other free software applications - is still far from perfect. I just
thought that people might like to know that Hebrew spell-checking in vanilla
OpenOffice (without Hebrew-specific code and build) is already a reality
(and has in fact been a reality for a little over two years now).

--
Nadav Har'El                        |     Saturday, Jan 20 2007, 1 Shevat 5767
Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]