On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

Alon Altman wrote:
  What if I sign my messages with a public key, but include a
statement in
the message that the signature is only for authentication purposes
only and
does not serve as a commitment to anything written in the message?
I don't know. It may work. It may not. I am not a lawyer.

It MAY be that the authentication is all it really takes to create
binding commitment. After all, if you promise me, orally, to do
something, that's a binding agreement too (for anything but buying
real-estate). The reason all contracts are not made orally is because of
deniability, which does not exist in this case. If that's the case, then
the above disclaimer can be said to be irrelevant.

Or, in short. 'it depends' and the 'legally binding' signature is as useful as a bandage on a wooden foot. At most, it makes things more complicated than they already are. That could mean increased legal fees ;-) It also means that using it exposes one MORE than not using to legal action by an unhappy (or sick) recipient. Therefore using 'chaff' signatures with an unpublished (and changed often, like once per message) key or cert all the time can be said to reduce problems. When the time comes for litigy, you will be asked and if it's an undesirable request the answer will be 'it is not mine', but if it is your broker checking that you gave him a sell order, then it will be 'it's mine' (you can tell this because you will have saved the key used for signing the message to the broker, as opposed to the others, which will have been deleted ... - just as an example). Unauthorized persons will only be able to suspect that the message is probably signed (as are all others that you will have sent).

The goal of the 'legally binding' signature seems to be to allow legal transactions via email to proceed. Unintentionally, it has opened the way for unexpected litigy and for illegal eavesdropping and information collection (it is very easy to collect all emails with a valid signature - in the sense of valid gpg etc - as they are a small percentage of the traffic. Or were, until now, and then use them or sell them to someone who will use them).

Peter