On 16/02/07, Dotan Cohen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 15/02/07, Shachar Shemesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > BTW, certain operations (atomic operations/counters/etc) -require- asm
> > code.
> >
> In an age where GCC, probably the least optimizing compiler among all
> popular compilers...

If gcc is so bad, can one use a different compiler on, say, an FC6
box? I'm not computer expert, but I'd like the programs that I do
compile to at least run as best they could.

There is a multitude of commercial compilers. Last time I heard, Intel's was
considered the best or close to the best (it's their code that made
Microsoft's compiler so good).

thefreecountry.com lists a few free C/C++ compilers, including a free
version of the Intel compiler for Linux (for non-commercial use), in
http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/cpp.shtml

--Amos