Dotan Cohen wrote:
> If gcc is so bad, can one use a different compiler on, say, an FC6
> box? I'm not computer expert, but I'd like the programs that I do
> compile to at least run as best they could.
Let me start by asking you something. How many programs do you know that
are genuinely slowed down by algorithmic processing? How many programs
do you us, everyday, that are not predominantly slowed down by OS calls,
IPC or just plain inefficient algorithm?

A better optimizing compiler only really helps those programs.
Everything else is due to the programmer's fault, and a compiler cannot
be expected to do anything about it.

So, the Intel compiler is supposed to do a better job at machine
specific optimizations. I don't think anyone managed to report any
significant differences in everyday programs, however.
> Dotan Cohen
Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh