Thanks.
I'm not familair with nixos and I certainly don't want to start a
discussion of which distro is better, but I will comment:

1 - IF this works as stated on the nixos site, I hope it will spread to
other distros

2 - changing distros because of a problem like I had is really overkill

3 - I don't really thing this would work in the situation I had
(although as I said - I'm not familiar with nixos). It's true that I
did not give details earlier, but I can add that it "seems" that
something went wrong when I installed a package about 2 months ago, but
everything worked OK until an update to that package (today) failed and
left the system unstable. So I don't think going back to a breakpoint
from months ago (if it were even possible) would b a viable solution
since it that time I'm made MANY changes to the system - including
installing other packages. Fixing a specific broken package or
dependency should be a trivial thing.