Just to comment on your original post.
Don't think for one moment that things are any better in Windows.
The difference with APT issues is that there *is* something you can do
about it, and ultimately, the problem is resolvable by you.
In Windows things look a lot prettier, but I have often had an installer
fail with no reason given and then automatically roll-back with no recourse.
The solutions there often required manual editing of the registry.
I prefer APT any day.

Jeremy Hoyland
jhoyl...@gmail.com