On Sunday, 26 December 2021 18:43:58 IST Steve Litt wrote:
> borissh1...@gmail.com said on Sun, 26 Dec 2021 10:58:11 +0200
>
> >working long term backup that you do not need to update is a myth,
>
> That's for sure. I have Qic tapes with proprietary format, Zip disks
> with no Zip drive, and Kaypro floppies to prove it. The hot tip is to
> move to the next *widely used and open* backup technology when the old
> one starts becoming scarce.

We can still get zip drives , you just need the usb to parallel converter and
get a replacement zip drive (if you used zip drives you know why ;-) ) .

> >both hard drives and cds die with time
>
> This hasn't been my experience with CDs or DVDs. See
>
> http://troubleshooters.com/lpm/201408/201408.htm#he_who_laughs_last

Different people , different life experience.

I can't pin the degradation on  a brand or a cd type: I had cd's from 1999 that
worked but cdrs from 2009  had failed.

My sample size is also quite small. In my last restore session I  had no more
than 120 cdrs, and maybe 40 DVDs tops, previous restore  was in the 200 cdrs
range.

My cdrs had been both hybrid and regular ones (but vast majority was just
data), I normally went with CD and not CD-RWs.