Omer Zak said on Fri, 24 Dec 2021 20:32:56 +0200

>My friend, thankfully, has already progressed to the 1.44MB, 3.5"
>diskettes era when the now-archeological PC was new.
>No 5.25" diskettes.
>No 8" diskettes.

LOL, my first job in the computer industry was as a receptionist at one
of those early computer stores that catered to business. CPM, hard
disk, Wordstar, spreadsheet and Dbase. And 8 inch floppies.

This was February or March of 1984, and we were still emerging from the
1982-83 recession, so in spite of the fact that in school I wrote a
Cobol program that would take, as input, another Cobol program, and
output a function decomposition diagram of the input, complete with
branches, loops and procedure calls, nobody would hire me. So I became a
receptionist in order to get a "computer job".

Two months later I had a real job as a Pascal programmer (remember, bad
economy, I took what I could), on PDP-11/23 with 5MB Winchester
removeable drive and about 50 serial ports to drive serial terminals. I
never saw an 8 inch floppy again.

SteveT

Steve Litt