I am trying to recover from the bungled upgrade.
I found some answers in the Internet. For example, to use kernel 6.1.0-
17 instead of 6.1.0-18 whose package version is 6.1.76-1) and to enable
bookworm-updates
(https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/debian-12-and-nvidia-driver-nvidia-linux-x86-64-470-223-02-run/282473).

Now I am stuck with inability to uninstall xorg-video-nvidia-tesla-470
(which I think was installed in one of failed attempts to recover) due
to error in its postrm script.

Before doing crazy things such as forced uninstallation or doing
restore from backup which I took just before full upgrade, I'd like to
know how do people deal with such problems (in Debian and maybe also in
Ubuntu).

Thanks,
--- Omer Zak

(The above is less than total disaster because it happens in a laptop
which is not my primary work PC. I plan to upgrade my work PC only
after having successfully upgraded the laptop. I also kept enough
backups to have the option to perform a fresh reinstall.)

--
One cannot argue with a Bayesian filter.       Peter Lorand Peres
My own blog is at https://tddpirate.zak.co.il/

They do not represent the official policy of any organization with
which I may be affiliated in any way.
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  at https://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html