With Fedora, I usually drop/boot into single user, and remove any package
with NVIDIA in their name,

    rpm -qa | grep -i nvidia | xargs dnf remove -y
   # rpm -qa return all locally installed packages

this brings me to a clean state, which allow me to install the nvidia
driver again.
I think you should be able to do the same with Debian based distro, unless
you used NVIDIA installer directly.

--
Rabin