On 02/12/2013 04:26 AM, James Griffin wrote:
----- Jack Woehr<jwo...@softwoehr.com>  [2013-02-11 15:46:29 -0700] ----- :

If you need OpenBSD you have the technical skills to install it or you know
(and possibly pay) someone who does.

OpenBSD, which is 20-ish years old now, was designed and is designed
and apparently always will be designed for those who have the
technical skills.

If no, there is always Linux.
It is not designed for technically minded people; it is designed with
security in mind and also a large amount of effort goes into making sure
the code is well written. Yes many of its users are technically minded,
but then there are technically minded people using FreeBSD and Linux, so
i'm afraid your statement is rubbish - with all due respect.

Learning how to use UNIX systems and shells and reading the
documentation that's provided with the OpenBSD installation  and on the
OpenBSD website is all one needs to be able to grasp - that is not
OpenBSD specific.

It also provides an excellent development platform and a learning platform,
which is why I use it. A person who might not have the skills to write
kernel code for example doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't use
OpenBSD. Provided one is willing to read and understand the information
provided in man pages and other documentation - and ask the odd question
here will have no trouble using and enjoying OpenBSD. I enjoy using very
much and i'm not a skilled kernel programmer, for example.

I agree this is actually why I choose to write my script specifically
for OpenBSD because of its excellent documentation and its also extremely
secure by default. Jan I don't think I am going to create a package for
my script because I plan on having people download my script via the
lynx browser then run it and it will not only configure the minecraft
server for them but also help them select a mirror to install packages
from etc. etc. (I am doing this to help out my target audience
which are most likely average users and new to the Command Line
Interface).

-Crookedmaze