On 5/7/24 19:25, Jo MacMahon wrote:
I'm interested if anybody has solutions using just the base system - I would
want something like etckeeper or git that was a true version control system,
rather than dump(8)/restore(8) which are backup systems. I'm idly considering
learning CVS for it, and I suppose if I'm going to become a true OpenBSD user I
will have to learn CVS at some point!

Jo

almost?
base+rsync is pretty close.

For over 20 years now, I've been using an rsync --link-dest backup
system to make system backups.  Several daily backups, several
monthly backups.  Not a true revision control system, but you have
the ability to compare versions of a file as far back as you wish to
keep copies.  Plus, since it stores its backups in fully readable form,
you can do all kinds of fantastic system research.  Backups are stored
in /ibs/<servername>/<date>/(backed up file system tree).  through the
magic of hard links, every backup is incremental from the backup before
in terms of files moved over the wire and space on disk, but every backup
directory is a full backup.

grep and careful wildcards gets you all kinds of info:
What systems is user "bob" on?
    $ grep "bob" /ibs/*/.latest/etc/passwd

When how long as "bob" been on server "server"?
    $ grep "bob" /ibs/server/*/etc/passwd

What systems are set up using dhcp?
    $ grep autoconf /ibs/*/.latest/etc/hostname.*

When I bring up a new laptop, I typically install OpenBSD, install rsync,
install whatever packages I want, install a root authorized key from my
backup server, and then push my home directory from a backup to the new
system.

https://holland-consulting.net/scripts/ibs/

I've scaled it from home use to "big" (current employer, almost 500 systems
doing just etc and a few other directories.  Last job, about 100 systems
with about 30TB of backup data)

client: rsync.  backup server: Rsync + script.

Other options:
CVS is in base, it works, but I don't find it as useful for system configs
as my Incremental Backup System.  But it is 100% in base.

If you are a fan of git, you might want to try Game of Trees (GOT), which is
a LOT lighter weight in terms of required support than git.
https://gameoftrees.org/index.html
Same comments apply as for CVS, though -- works, but not as useful to me.
But...git seems to be the new favorite revision control system, so knowing
got/git is more marketable than cvs. :-/

Nick.