Michael wrote:

On Saturday 05 July 2003 06:19 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:

in /etc/fstab , check every char is identicle including spaces, to,
none /mnt/cdrom supermount
dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,rw,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

ok, opened a terminal, "su", password, kwrite, opened up fstab, made the changes, saved, exited.

then i went and restarted the computer. don't know if this was necessary or not, i'm used to doing things in mswin, and you have to reboot the computer after any changes to system files. anyway.....

went into mandrake control center, mount points, set cd/dvd burner is mounted,

It's not really necessary to either reboot or go back into MCC, but since you did not hard done.
In future, so you know , any time you want to make changes to fstab and you don't want to be bothered to reboot, merely open a root terminal and type mount -a <enter>
that will mount everything in fstab afresh.

had laying on the desk is one of my wife's celine dion CDs....i know i personally go into error mode when i'm forced to listen to it......ok, all joking aside.....ok,

well if you can hold yourself and laugh at your troubles you're more than halfway there.

so after that, i put in a CD-RW that i created in mswin.

for test purposes I'd prefer to use a data disc of any old sort, but that's me.

John, you had said in a previous post:

This is saying that you have chosen scsi-emulation for your writer/rom,
that is what hdc=ide-scsi says. That is OK, if you want it.

Yes, scsi emulation is fake ide , if you like. Some programmes need it to recognise the drive and make the drivers work with them. However, I believe your running M9.1 here, and if so you don't actually need scsi-em with the standard xcdroast and I believe k3b writer programmes, though i have to say i have never got k3b to work for me.

So if you are content with xcdroast and k3b as you're writer programmes, ok.

simply remove the hdc=ide-scsi from /etc/lilo.conf and don't forget to /sbin/lilo in a terminal.

then change,

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,rw,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

to none /mnt/cdrom supermount
dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,rw,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

in fstab,

then mount -a in a terminal

and try again.

what's the difference between supermount and automount?

Not that much . I actually have automount with some eliments of supermount running at the same time, at the moment on my M9.1, as my xcdroast likes it better, and I can have desktop icon access to the cd's in the drives as well . I also find xcdroast loads and runs much quicker that way. It's nothing I can explain.

But first try removing scsi-em and see what that does.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]