On Sunday 06 July 2003 10:32 am, Michael wrote:
> On Saturday 05 July 2003 06:19 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:
> > in /etc/fstab , check every char is identicle including spaces, to,
> > none /mnt/cdrom supermount
> > dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,rw,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
>
> ok, opened a terminal, "su", password, kwrite, opened up fstab, made the
> changes, saved, exited.
>
> then i went and restarted the computer.  don't know if this was necessary
> or not, i'm used to doing things in mswin, and you have to reboot the
> computer after any changes to system files.  anyway.....
>
> went into mandrake control center, mount points, set cd/dvd burner is
> mounted, and checked the info there.  we changed "iocharset=iso8859-1" to
> what is above, and that change shows.  if i click on the options tab, then
> click advanced, "ro" has been unchecked by the fstab change.  ok, so far so
> good, right?  wrong.  still doesn't work.  i put a music CD in, accessed
> the cd-rom icon on the desktop, it gives me an error that says "could not
> enter directory /mnt/cdrom."  maybe it's giving me an error because the
> only cd i had laying on the desk is one of my wife's celine dion CDs....i
> know i personally go into error mode when i'm forced to listen to
> it......ok, all joking aside.....ok, so after that, i put in a CD-RW that i
> created in mswin. nothing special on the cd, it's where i backed up
> important stuff on my hard drive, mostly pictures of the kids.  when i try
> to access that, it tries for a minute to access, then i get total lockup
> and the caps lock and scroll lock lights on the keyboard start flashing
> together.  the number lock light goes off and stays off during all this.
> the only thing i can do is hit the restart button on the computer.  not a
> good thing, i know, but it's all i can do.
>
> John, you had said in a previous post:
> > This is saying that you have chosen scsi-emulation for your writer/rom,
> > that is what hdc=ide-scsi says. That is OK, if you want it.
>
> we never got into the difference between running it this way or running it
> as IDE, if there is a difference.  if it's not run as scsi, will i lose the
> ability to burn CDs?  if not, would changing it so it isn't scsi emulation
> possibly help?
>
> > Are you quite sure the jumpers on the back of your writer/rom are set to
> > master, and your device is on ide2 line.
>
> at this point, i'm ready to open up the computer again and triple check to
> make sure it's on master and that it's on the end of the ribbon, but i just
> had the computer physically open a week and a half ago to install a new
> hard drive and i checked it all there.  and in the bios it shows that the
> cd drive is on the secondary channel and is the master.
>
> > I hope so, because if not I don't know what to do to make supermount
> > work. After that we can try automount if you wish.
> >
> > On my own machine supermount does not work well, in spite of being able
> > to mount the device on the command line, all the apps that need to use
> [...]
Mike, a audio cd will not show up when mounted. They are not a data cd and
that is why you get the message. RWs can be a problem for any comp that did
not write them. So I suggest that you take say the 3rd install cd and put
that in and mount it.  But before you do that check that the icon has the
correct mapping. Do that by right clicking on the icon and select properties.
You should see the nonmntcdrom or the mount script for fstab.
You can create a new icon by right clicking on an empty spot on your desktop
and selecting "create new> CDDVDrom device and then click the drop down and
you will see the fstab list. select the corresponding cdrom device. HTH
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842