On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 15:52, Maureen L. Thomas wrote:

> It's not that I want to force a name but it just started happening and I
> have been using this service since Feb.  It kinda through me when I saw
> it.  I though someone had snuck in a back door or something even though
> I have a firewall and tripwire, prelude etc.

In a situation with one of my clients, they have a DHCP connection
(similar to ADSL, but actually it's a 2.4ghz 802.11b wireless link) and
initially the system was doing that - changing the hostname - but I
wanted to keep it static. The PPPoE settings allowed for me to maintain
the proper hostname internally but use the DHCP assigned hostname
externally - which was fine by me, but I did NOT want the hostname
changed internally as I have applications and services that are tied to
the internal hostname. Just for giggles and grins I also forced a chmod
on the /etc/hostname file to make SURE it was going to stay straight...

Just FYI - as if anyone would care that I have anything to say anyways.

stephen kuhn - owner
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com
When man calls an animal "vicious", he usually means that it will
attempt to defend itself when he tries to kill it.