Stephen Kuhn wrote:

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 15:52, Maureen L. Thomas wrote:

It's not that I want to force a name but it just started happening and I have been using this service since Feb. It kinda through me when I saw it. I though someone had snuck in a back door or something even though I have a firewall and tripwire, prelude etc.

In a situation with one of my clients, they have a DHCP connection (similar to ADSL, but actually it's a 2.4ghz 802.11b wireless link) and initially the system was doing that - changing the hostname - but I wanted to keep it static. The PPPoE settings allowed for me to maintain the proper hostname internally but use the DHCP assigned hostname externally - which was fine by me, but I did NOT want the hostname changed internally as I have applications and services that are tied to the internal hostname. Just for giggles and grins I also forced a chmod on the /etc/hostname file to make SURE it was going to stay straight...

Just FYI - as if anyone would care that I have anything to say anyways.

stephen kuhn - owner
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com
When man calls an animal "vicious", he usually means that it will
attempt to defend itself when he tries to kill it.

Thanks for the info, It did help.