On Friday 26 Sep 2003 5:47 am, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> At 11:21 PM 9/25/2003, Miark said something remarkably like (but somehow
>
> subtly different from):
> >On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:04:53 -0400, "Kevin B. O'Brien"
> >
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Thank you again for the help.
> >
> >Yer welcome.
> >
> > > I looked at samba.org, and they have rpms. I tried the latest RPM
> > > available, which is for Red Hat 9, and it is 2.2.8, but it would not
> > > install. Is that what I should be using?
> >
> >As a rule, no--use Mandrake-specific RPMs. As Vincent demonstrated
> >in the last day or so, it's often best to use Mandrake RPMs, even
> >if it's not the latest.
> >
> >Go to http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/index.php and configure urpmi
> >sources. Then whenever you want to install something, do a
> >
> >   urpmi packagename
> >
> >It'll take care of downloading, installing, and dependencies.
>
> Thank you. I now have Samba server running on my system. Now all I need to
> do is figure out how to configure it.<g>

To get Samba working all you need to do is set the Workgroup name in the
config file.
You can do that by GUI simply by installing the drakwizard RPM using your
Mandrake Software Manager. Restart Mandrake control Centre and there will be
a new 'server' category. Go through the Samba Wizard.

At the end of the wizard it tells you to open a terminal. Enter 'su' to become
root and then for each user of your system enter

smbpasswd -a user_name

The user_name must exist in both Linux and Windows.
The password given is the **WIndows** password for that user. It does not have
to be the same as the Linux password.

Afterwards users will be able to access theit /home folders from a Windows
computer.

HTH

derek

--