Charlie M. wrote:

September 27, 2003 11:20 pm, Lance Cummings wrote:
<whack>

Good to know, thanks. I will be tempted to run as root someday I'm
sure, as I run as "administrator" (but renamed for security) in
WIndows. But that would be quite some time from now, and maybe I
will forgo the idea entirely if it's not too big a pain not to be
root. ^^_^^

For your personal security resist that temptation. _Please!_ If a "gremlin" manages to crawl in through a malicious script or other methods the worst that might happen is a loss of anything not backed up. Yeah, I read your other post. Sounds as though you back up almost as much as I do. Suspenders and belt. Or as Anne would say; "Belt'n'braces." If you cruise to a den of iniquity containing a nest of "viper scripts" as root you won't like the world.

At all.

Indeedy-doody. Just about anything you can do by logging in as root, you can do by typing "su" in a terminal. It doesn't limit you to command-line stuff; for example, once you've become root via "su", you can type, say, "konqueror" and get konqueror as though you were runing it as root.

Sir Robin

--
"I can say: 'Thank these bees for their honey as though they were kind people who have
prepared it for you'; that is intelligible and describes how I should like you to conduct

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi
Ankara 06533