John Rye wrote:

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 11:46:18 +0100
John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Raffaele BELARDI wrote:

John Richard Smith wrote:

How to decypher dialupscript

Where can I get a list of explanation of the messages the dial up window gives you in kppp ?

John

Not sure of what kppp prints since I don't use it, but V90 and older modems use the Hayes command set (i.e. AT commands), you can find explanation for example here:

http://docs.kde.org/en/3.1/kdenetwork/kppp/appendix-hayes-commands.html

raffaele

Much obliged Raffaele,that was what I'm looking for, though I still have
a few lines unexplained, this is what I'm getting after a particular recurrence like this, kppp logs on and emails download,
then halfway through the process my ISP seems to cut me off, this causes
kppp to redial with this error message,

ATZ
OK
AT &F1 &V1
TERMINATION REASON.......... NONE
LAST TX rate................ N/A
HIGHEST TX rate............. 300 BPS
LAST RX rate................ N/A
HIGHEST RX rate............. 300 BPS
PROTOCOL.................... N/A
COMPRESSION................. N/A
Line QUALITY................ 255
Rx LEVEL.................... 214
Highest Rx State............ 00
Highest TX State............ 00
EQM Sum..................... FFFF
RBS Pattern................. FF
Rate Drop................... FF
Digital Loss................ FFFF
Local Rtrn Count............ 00
Remote Rtrn Count........... 00
V90

OK
ATM1L1
OK
ATDT147008089916080
NO CARRIER

Question is why no carrier ?

Immediately I redial she logs on as usual.

This has now become a pattern.

I don't understand the scale of report in the "F's" and the numbers, like Line
QUALITY...... 255, is that good bad or indifferent.

All my searches in google have come up with no detailed explanation, and although your
suggestion is very helpful it isn't complete, as far as I can see.

The basic questions I need answering are,

Am I being cut off because my ISP is overloaded and needs to make room for others,

Am I being cut off because of line quality or modem config.

Am I being cut off because of software like guarddog(don't think so, but I'm not sure) etc.

What do you have in /etc/ppp/options ???

John (nz)

lock
noauth
noipdefault