Martin Foster wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 10:11:56 +0100, John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Heres wanadoo's technical support reply to my email last night,

Dear John,

Thank you for your email.

The 1470 is only needed if your caller identity is witheld - it usually will not cause any problem whether the number is witheld or not.

If you have any further queries then please do not hesitate to get in contact with us again.

Kind Regards

Wanadoo Technical Support
REF:WOOTS

Original Message Follows: ------------------------ I'm currently using, 147008089916080 147008089916164

But is the 1470 strictly necessary,

And so I'm flabbergasted.
Never would of thought it.
But there it is.

and so you think I should remove 1470 then ?

I don't see any harm in removing it.

However, I don't think that's what causing the problems.
Have you had a look at my other suggestions yet?

OK, I've removed the 1470 prefix and am having less trouble, but it's too soon to say, but I'm hopeful.

I'm thinking if this holds up, then maybe the problem is that kppp handles prefix numbers on the initial dialup but not subsequently on redial due to a cutoff.Could that make sense ?
Somehow it does not handle the 1470 prefix on redial, but that of course does not account for why I am getting poor email download in the first place, that is, that I'm getting cut off during a pop3 download.
Wanadoo my ISP may be rationalising the use of their equipement, I don't know, though I strongly suspect it, but they would hardly want to cut users off mid email download. That I find unlikely. It is not in their best interest. Especially high traffic user like me. I maybe get 400/ 800 emails a day (about 1/3 is spam though) and they want to get this traffic off their servers ASAP for obvious reasons.

I tried Stephens AT string, AT &F &C1 &D2 E1 Q0 V1,it hung,
Not sure where to put ATH0 for the hangup string .
I currently have +++ATH , I'm to change that to ATH0  ?,
I currently have hangup response OK, presumeably leave that.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]