Martin Foster wrote:

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 20:26:21 +0100, Margot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Martin Foster wrote:

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 11:46:18 +0100, John Richard Smith
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

OK
ATM1L1
OK
ATDT147008089916080

Why are you using "1470" in front of your ISP's phone number?

Judging by your email address, your ISP is FreeServe. When I had an
account with them, it was unnecessary to use "1470".

Freeserve is now Wanadoo - or, judging by their service, Wanadon't! I use the same number for dialup, and queried this with them - they said the 1470 is an essential part of their dialup number, or I'd get charged for the call by BT!

Hmmmm, here's the result of a search for "1470" on BeeTee's Web site:

"A customer with Permanent Number Withhold on their line can release their number on a per call basis by dialling 1470 before dialling the number of the person they would like to call. This means that the person they are calling will be able to see the caller's number on Caller Display or be told it through the free 1471 service."

Now I'm confused.

I have recently had to change my numbers, wanadoo says I must dial all the number, this was their reply from customer support,

Hi John,

Thank you for your email.

These numbers are still working:

147008089916080
147008089916164

If you have any further queries then please do not hesitate to get in
contact with us again.

I have a couple more , but am not supposed to use them, but they also have the 1470 included. I think the 1470080899 is common to all wanadoo numbers and they just vary the last digits to groups of customers in order to even out demand over their telephone line facilities.

Whatever happens I don't want to break with the prepay fixed price connection facility.

All my windblows OS's use the 1470 prefix, and I've been on this setup ages, it predates the problem by a mile. My MD8.1 uses the prefix too.

I think I had better fire off an email to them and ask.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]