Todd Slater wrote:

How are you starting XFce4? My initial thought is that you have some
program running in the background that is changing your background.

Switch on computer, select user 'margot', xfce4 is selected by default, enter my password...I usually have kppp and konsole running at startup from a saved session the day before, but I close everything else - I've found that xfce4 seems unable to save sessions if I leave OpenOffice open.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "icons growing up the right hand
side". Are you using some other app to get icons on your desktop? Or,
are you taking about the iconbox? Are you even using xfdesktop?

Yes, the iconbox - mine is set to start at bottom right and grow upwards, so it normally contains 2 icons at startup - kppp and konsole - and acquires more during the day.

Anyway, check your startup script and make sure you're not starting chbg
or some such.

Todd

Errr...I'm afraid I have no idea where to find the startup script! And what is chbg?

Thanks for your help so far.

Margot