PM wrote:

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 15:54, John Richard Smith wrote:

Aron Smith wrote:

On Thursday 02 September 2004 01:46 am, John Richard Smith wrote:

Bryan Phinney wrote:

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 06:02 pm, Margot wrote:

According to their web page, they support the Speedtouch 330 USB DSL modem
as well as the Netgear DM602 router/modem.

Personally, I would go for the Netgear if I were you, it will hook up to
your ethernet card and should be as close to plug and play as you get. The USB option is more likely to result in possible compatibility
problems.

But that means you must have a fully configured ethernet card to go with
your choice of the Netgear DM602 router/modem, doesn't it ?

MCC will configure your card real nice

John

When you say configured, that is as a card recognised by the systen and a device to be used by the system, you don't mean as part of the network ?

John

Mcc will do both, for eth0, likely to have a few more problems with a second card (eth1).

OK then I bow to experience.
Only I found in the device easy enough, but the with the network MCC still asks a lot of questions you don't know the answers to, and without those answers it don't work. Of course that is trying to set up a network.

I just don't find it clear whether setting up a router/modem plus ethernet can be done with nothing more than getting the devices recognised by the system, or that you also have to have the beginning of a network as well.

John