I don't think I really qualify as a Linux geek yet either... but here's my
best shot.
As far as your connection with kppp, it really shouldn't be that difficult.
One thing I've noticed (and written to this list and the expert list about,
nobody seemed to want to answer), is that you can either have a lan
connection, or you can have an internet connection, but not both.  I've been
trying off and on for several months to figure out how to use NFS and such,
but everytime I get to the point where I can ping another computer from the
main on my own little network, then I lose the ability to connect to the
web.  Once I remove the network settings from my computer, I'm able to
connect to the web again.  Maybe that would be something you can try.  Go
into linuxconf and remove your other settings (eth0 or whatever) and then go
back to kppp and run through the setup there.  I've bookmarked a page from
my isp that shows how to get kppp up and running, here it is:
http://help.jps.net/unsupported/mandrake/

If you have any luck getting both your internet AND your lan connection
working at the same time, let me know!  I'd love to be able to share files
without having to boot into Windows!

Mike

.