On 8/18/20 1:20 AM, Tim Dawson wrote:

My experience on situations like this is that it is almost always a bad battery.  Once load is removed, the voltage bounced back, and thus you show time/capacity, but it's possible that the sag under load drops you into LB, and causes the shutdown.

If the UPS has a battery test, give it a try, or load test the battery external to the UPS if you can - I suspect that the UPS will be fine, and the battery degraded.

- Tim

My thoughts exactly. I suggest to take the battery out after fully charging it and discharge it using a load like an incandescent bulb for a car headlight or a 12V motor ( like a fan ). I preserved a bulb suitable for my old car especially for that: with both short and long range filaments connected in parallel it draws somewhere around 80-90W/12V. You could use a voltage meter to monitor the (dis)charging status , although the intensity of the light will be a very good indicator.

In any case, do not let the voltage drop below 10V in order to avoid damaging the battery ( assuming it is not dead already ). My bet is that one of the elements is defective and under load it gets short-circuited, thus leading the global voltage to drop fast with cca 2...2.2V below its standard 12...14.2V.

wolfy