On Sat, Sep 30, 2023 at 11:14:01PM +0200, Christian Theune via
Openipmi-developer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry if this isn’t directly a developers question, but I’ve run out of
> avenues after googling and looking around…
>
> We’re experiencing weird system stability issue where the “log to SEL”
> doesn’t cut it: we see watchdog reboots but no kernel output whatsoever
> ending up in the SEL. (I’ve debugged this with Corey before and we found
> something to fix but the watchdog events we’re experiencing still don’t get
> logged in more detail.)

Can you not get kernel coredumps?

> I’m wondering: does anyone know of a “push” solution to instruct the BMC
> (mostly Supermicro in our case) to push SOL output proactively through some
> protocol like syslog?

The SEL probably isn't big or fast enough to take system logs.  You
could create something like this as part of printk, but I suspect that
it would quickly overflow the SEL.

> Otherwise we’d need to set up a central host with passwords for dozens of
> hosts to pull the SOL for logging and that doesn’t feel right either … -__

I know people that do this; it's not terrible.  You do have all of your
IPMI passwords in one place, that's the biggest issue, but IMHO you
should be monitoring the output of your consoles, anyway.

I support a program called ser2net that is capable of making SOL
connections, logging the output, and allowing connections to the
console.  That would be a pretty complicated setup, but I can help you
with it, if you like.

-corey