> On 9. Nov 2023, at 14:50, Corey Minyard <miny...@acm.org> wrote:
>
> It's 09c5ba0aa2fc "printk: add kthread console printers" and some
> others.  It's in 5.19, so it was later than I thought.

Interesting. I can see it merged but then also reverted AFAICT before the 5.19
release.

I saw a lot of work around kprint() happened in and after 5.15 so I guess
upgrading to 5.15 shouldn’t hurt in any case.

Not having a reproducer is the real bummer.

I was also wondering whether using other utilities like storing kernel crash
dumps on swap would be a good avenue. The only issue here being that this is a
KVM/Qemu host with lots of RAM and I think I don’t have enough disk space to
capture full system memory dumps …

> I'm not being a lot of help here, but hopefully it can lead you
> somewhere you can figure this out.  These can be hard problems to
> track down.

I guess we’re both pretty blind here. I appreciate any assistance. :)

> I don't remember, had you done anything with the kernel preempt tracing?
> That can be useful for tracking down long preempt off times.

Uhm no, not yet. Any pointers where to start and how this relates to potential
kprint buffers?

Liebe Grüße,
Christian Theune

--