Hi,

I will bump my own post from a month back (see below) and just will answer the
question in case anyone else was looking for something similar. I haven't found
a way to remotely navigate the file system through ParaView Python API objects,
but of course there are other Python packages which can achieve that. I used
paramiko. Below is my minimal example.

    from paraview.simple import LegacyVTKReader, RenameSource, Connect
    from paramiko import SSHClient, AutoAddPolicy

    '''
    This script extracts the output of a remote ls command with to feed into
    a LegacyVTKReader. The main use is it to make a collection of VTK files
    into a time sequence inside PV.
    '''

    # Inputs:
    host = 'remote.host.com'
    port = 22
    username = 'me'
    key_filename = '/path/to/private/key'

    pvhost = 'localhost'    # I typically run pvserver through an ssh tunnel so
    pvport = 22227          # these are the parameters for local port forward

    data_dir = '/path/to/data/on/remote'

    # SSH part
    # to get a list of files to open
    client = SSHClient()
    client.set_missing_host_key_policy(AutoAddPolicy())

    client.connect(
        host, port=port,
        username=username,
        key_filename=key_filename)

    stdin, stdout, stderr = client.exec_command(
        'ls -1 {0}'.format(data_dir))
    lslines = stdout.readlines()
    client.close()

    # ParaView part
    Connect('localhost', 22227)
    reader = LegacyVTKReader(FileNames=[
         'data/{0}'.format(l.strip()) for l in lslines])
    RenameSource('source', reader)

Hope this helps someone!
Robert

--
Playing possum, opposable digit, climbing, swimming, omnivores...
Is there nothing they can't do?