Robert,

Sorry I missed the email earlier. What you have as an alternative is
indeed a reasonable approach. Once can also use ParaView's
infrastructure used by the file dialog, but it's a little clunky
currently, since it needs to be pythonified for easier user.

Here's how you'd do this with 5.4.1.

from paraview import servermanager as sm

helper = sm.misc.FileInformationHelper()
helper.DirectoryListing = 1
helper.WorkingDirecotry = "'/path/to/data/on/remote"

pvinfo = servermanager.vtkPVFileInformation()
helper.GatherInformation(pvinfo)
for a_pvinfo in pvinfo.GetConents():
   if a_pvinfo.GetType() == a_pvinfo.FILE_GROUP:
     for b_pvinfo in a_pvinfo.GetContents():
        assert b_pvinfo.GetType() == b_pvinfo.SINGLE_FILE
        print (b_pvinfo.GetName(),  b_pvinfo.GetFullPath())
   elif a_pvinfo.GetType() ==  a_pvinfo.SINGLE_FILE
      print (a_pvinfo.GetName(),  a_pvinfo.GetFullPath())

This will print all files in the directory.

See vtkPVFileInformation docs
(https://www.paraview.org/ParaView3/Doc/Nightly/www/cxx-doc/classvtkPVFileInformation.html)
for more API details.

Hope that helps.