Geeze, Wm Robb, I like your posts.
I'm never gonna be a Pro, but you seem
so _sensible_.
And sometimes, crabby.  Me too.   -Lon

BTW, no crab in the below-

William Robb wrote:
One of the truly wonderful things about being an amateur photographer after
a few decades as a pro boy is that I now have the ability to photograph what
I want, the way I want to do it, without having to compromise either myself
or my art (for lack of a better term).
Now that payday no longer depends on "getting the shot", I can work more
leisurely, I can choose my subjects, and I can do it right, rather than just
doing it for money.

Losing the yoke of whoredom is a beautiful thing.

There is, of course, a downside to all of this. It used to be that when I
took a picture, I had a pretty good idea of what the final result would be
used for, and could fit enough technique into the equation to allow it.

For example, at a wedding, I knew that it was most unlikely that the record
shots of the procession would ever be made larger than a 4x6 print. Handheld
35mm, middle aperture, flash on camera, and zone focussing worked well for
this sort of thing. If it wasn't ideally sharp, it didn't matter, it was
good enough for the purpose, and I only had one shot at the picture, so
timing took precedence.

However, this sort of slapdash approach wouldn't do for the formal
portraits, where it was entirely possible that any given frame might end up
as a 16x20 (or larger) print.
Suddenly, even the best technique with 35mm wasn't good enough, and I had to
use medium format and a tripod and reflectors and assistants and all sorts
of complications.

But all that changed when I got out of the game and started shooting for my
own pleasure. Now, if that nice snapshot won't make a large print, I may be
in trouble with my wife. This happened on a couple of occasions before I
figured it out. She wants pretty pictures for the wall, and every time I
trip a shutter, I had better make sure that negative has enough
enlargability to keep her happy.

But, this keeps me on my toes, and prevents my work from decaying. I find it
is nicer to be able to take the time to get a good quality image than it is
to get a pretty picture that may not be viewable at a larger than drugstore
print size.

I find it nicer that I don't have to worry about the shot that got away. Why
should I? Another nice picture is just around the next bend in the path
anyway. If I miss this one, perhaps I will get the next one. If not, another
will come along soon enough.
Missing a nice shot isn't the end of the world.
There have been times when I have just sat and admired what was in front of
me until the light was gone, rather than spoil the moment by pulling out a
camera.
It is amazing what we don't get to enjoy when we take a feeding frenzy
approach to getting every great picture there is.
Often, we don't get to enjoy what we went to photograph in the first place.

I didn't have time to take this approach when I was shooting professionally,
and I think that in many ways, I am a better photographer now than I was
when I was  shooting pro.
Now I have time on my side, and I can use it to benefit my pictures.

This is the beauty of being an amateur, and I think it is foolish to waste
this advantage for any reason.

William Robb