Hi Alex,

I appreciate where you are coming from, however there is a big difference
between sticky blunder traps (targeting insects) and glue boards (targeting
rodents). I agree that the larger rodent-type glue boards are inhumane and I do
not use them precisely for that reason. The small sticky blunder traps,
however, are the best tool I have for insect monitoring, which is critical for
preventive conservation of collections. While I have occasionally (rarely)
found a small baby mouse stuck to the blunder traps, they are generally not
strong enough to hold rodents. When needed, I use snap traps for rodents, which
generally kill efficiently with hopefully minimal fear and suffering for the
animal. Ironically, as Gretchen pointed out, live traps are probably the least
humane of all because if not found immediately the rodent can meet an
unpleasant death from starvation / dehydration before being detected. Careful
attention to housekeeping and exclusion from our buildings is the best defense
against having to kill creatures unnecessarily in the name of our work. None of
us enjoys killing any creature, but sometimes it is simply unavoidable.

Dee

Dee A. Stubbs-Lee, MA, FIIC, CAPC
Conservator / Restauratrice
New Brunswick Museum