On 3/23/21 2:06 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
We have the postmaster which can pass arbitrary arguments to postgres
processes using -o.

Right, and -o is already taken in pg_upgrade for sending options to the old postmaster.

What we are looking for are options for sending options to pg_dump and pg_restore, which are not postmasters or children of postmaster, but rather clients. There is no option to send options to clients of postmasters.

So the question remains, how do we name this?

    --pg-dump-options "<string>"
    --pg-restore-options "<string>"

where "<string>" could be something like "--whatever[=NUM] [...]" would be something unambiguous.

Regards, Jan

--
Jan Wieck
Principle Database Engineer