It is a problem having write access to the file.   This is what the online
mySQL manual says ...

The SELECT ... INTO OUTFILE 'file_name' form of SELECT writes the selected
rows to a file. The file is created on the server host, so you must have the
FILE privilege to use this syntax. The file cannot already exist, which
among other things prevents files such as `/etc/passwd' and database tables
from being destroyed. The SELECT ... INTO OUTFILE statement is intended
primarily to let you very quickly dump a table on the server machine. If you
want to create the resulting file on some client host other than the server
host, you can't use SELECT ... INTO OUTFILE. In that case, you should
instead use some command like mysql -e "SELECT ..." > file_name on the
client host to generate the file.

I need to go with another option.

Another person wrote me and suggested using the fopen(), fwrite() and
fclose() commands.  I haven't investigated this option yet.  You know when
you first learn to walk you do so by example ... I am still needing to know
which commands to look up and try to apply to my situation.  I have got some
PHP code to work ... I am far from done the project I am working on.

I was able to get the command:

SELECT e_mail
FROM subscriptionsdatabase
WHERE discipleship_mailing_list_e_mail_subscription
LIKE 'on'

to work in the mySQL command prompt but when I put it into a .PHP file I get
a parse error.  I get that parse error by simply coping and pasting the
command into the PHP file.

In more detail what I am trying to do and why I e-mailed out the question is
to wipe clean a mailing list data file and re-create the e-mail
subscriptions data file based on which people joined the list during the
week.

I am still learning mySQL ... The things you wrote helped me "play" ... I
didn't get too far in creating code, but I am learning at the same time.

Thanks for the advice.

Ron