It has been my experience that you sometimes need to do backquotes (`)
in MySQL queries when cutting/pasting into PHP -- it's the same key as
the tilde (~) on my keyboard.  Try:

$result = mysql_query("SELECT e_mail FROM subscriptionsdatabase WHERE
`discipleship_mailing_list_e_mail_subscription` LIKE 'on'");

That should work.  I've always used the equal sign instead of LIKE, but
that seems to be a matter of preference.

Regarding the second part, with the fopen() and fwrite() commands,
that's certainly doable.  For example, you could do something like:

$handle = fopen("/home/blah/blah.txt", "w");

$result = mysql_query(...);

if($result) {
  while($somevar = <do mysql fetch from $result>) {
    fwrite($handle, $somevar);

fclose($result);

Now, I realize that code is sort of a hack, but since I'm doing it
mostly on the fly, you'll forgive me my coding errors.  Take a look at
the Filesystem section of the PHP manual for information on the
fopen/fwrite() commands, and the MySQL section for more information on
MySQL commands in PHP.

Hope this helps a little more in solving the puzzle.
--
Peter Ellis - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web Design and Development Consultant