Gerard Samuel wrote:

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 02:43 pm, Galen wrote:

If you store images that are played with a lot on
the disk, it'll likely be slower than MySQL due to MySQL having better
caching.

I disagree.
Depending on your setup, when a file based image is downloaded to a user's computer, its cached there.
No need to fetch it again, till it expires.
I don't think thats possible via images from a database, but
I may be wrong. Feel free to correct me...

Images are cached client side just as html pages are. Scripts are no exception. A script which outputs an image will have the same URI over and over, so it will be cached. If the browser isn't cacheing as you want, you can always send a header telling the browser to cache it.

--
paperCrane <Justin Patrin>