Thanks for the feedback. Just to clear up a couple questions regarding my particular needs...

1. server has *plenty* of capacity
2. traffic is *very* low; max load would be 20 visitors looking at 4 images apiece over a 4-hour period
3. images will only be retrieved once or twice by one or two different browsers, over the period of a week (then they will be deleted).
4. I *don't* need, or want, the files to be backed up

It seems to me that I can get more/better control over the tracking and use of the images if I store them in the DB. On the other hand, the 'simple' solution to the open directory problem is to put it outside the www root and fread the file from there to spit out to the browsers.

I'm going to go with the database option for now, despite the fact that it will include the stuff in backups if I do, for a couple of selfish reasons: I've already got the code written and working, while moving the directory around and having to fread and then puke out the data will be more work, and I *do* have more control/access over database records than I do server directories.

Thanks for everyone's help!

-Derrick